PhD and Doctoral programs taught by the Department of Clinical Medicine UMH.
Download in pdf
1) Where can I find the specific information of the Doctoral programs (content, research, faculty, etc.)?
The information of the program is available on the website:
2) Who can I contact if I have any questions?
For general questions, please contact the Secretary of the Ph Doctorate Program, María Asunción Almarcha, telephone 34 96 523 37 55, or by e-mail: [email protected]
For questions concerning the registration process you can contact the Servicio de Gestión de Estudios [Master’s Degree and Ph Doctorate Unit] and you can contact with D. Antonio Guerrero Sotoca, telephone 34 96 665 8598, or by e-mail: [email protected]
3) Which law I need to know?
The state rule of application is the “R.D. 99/2011 and modifications”. The specific rule of the University is the “Rules of Ph Doctoral Studies”.
You can check this link:
4) What are the requirements I must fulfil to apply for the Ph Doctoral programs?
Check the requirements on the web:
5) How can I make my pre-registration in the program?
The electronic pre-registration starts from July 17 to September 15 (the pre-registration period will remain open in case there were vacancies).
The pre-registration may be done through the following web link:
6) What documents are requiered once the electronic pre-registration was done?
When you do the electronic application, you get a receipt which indicates which documents must be submitted.
In any case, you can also check on the website:
In addition, it is important to forward the following information in the section on Autoreport:
If you have already started a thesis project, you must attach a summary of the project, indicating the background, objectives, methodology, current status, bibliography and if it is funded. You must also indicate what director is managing your Thesis such a project, and he must not be a professor of those who composes this program (see them on the web:)
http://www.umh.es/contenido/Estudios/:tit_d_215/datos_en.html you must attach a Currículum Vitae of the proposed director.
If you do not have any thesis project yet, you must indicate which line of research would like to develop and propose your address from among the professors who belong to our program (see the link in the previous paragraph).
7) Where can I submit the documentation and on what deadline?
The documentation may be sent either in general or auxiliary records of the University Miguel Hernández (one on each campus). In case you cannot move, the documents could be sent by certified mail to the following address:
University Miguel Hernández
Rectorado and Consejo Social Building
Avda. Universidad, s/n
03202 ELCHE (ALICANTE-SPAIN)
The deadline to submit documentation is from July 17 to September 15. This term will remain open in case that there were vacancies.
8) Who decides on my admission into the program?
Esa competencia corresponde a la Comisión Académica del Programa de Doctorado.
This competence is established by the Academic Commission of the PhD program.
9) Which criteria does the academic Committee apply to select candidates to the program?
The general and specific criteria have been verified by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport of the Government of Spain, and you can find them in the link:
In addition, the academic Committee or the coordinator may request an interview with the candidates. The affinity of the research proposals that each candidate in relation to the lines of research that offers the program will be valued in the interview.
10) Do I have to realize some formative complement before registration?
Laws require to have sufficient training in research techniques in order to develop the thesis, and therefore, the academic commission requires that background.
It is normally obtained in the official master’s degree or Ph Doctorate programmes previously. If you can not prove that formation (methodology of research, design protocols, scientific documentation), the Academic Committee may require to perform a training complement before registration. Miguel Hernández University offers this training through a course of 6 ECTS online credits. To carry out this course please contact:
D. Antonio Guerrero Sotoca
Servicio de Gestión de Estudios
Tel: 96 665 8598
E-mail: [email protected]
11) How do I know if my application has been admitted?
The Academic Committee communicates admission to Servicio de Gestión de Estudios, and this sends a direct communication to the Ph doctorate student, with instructions to perform online registration.
(12) What do I have to consider to enrol?
You must choose an option of dedication:
a) Full time. The maximum period to read the thesis is 3 years from the formalized registration.
b) Part-time. In this case, the maximum term is 5 years. To request the dedication in part-time, its necessary to prove the situation that does not allow you to perform full time PhD (work, studies, family situation, etc.).
13) ¿Cuánto cuestan las tasas de matrícula?
For the year 2017/18 it has set an annual rate of 300,00 euros.
14) What should I do?
The Academic Committee will design him a tutor and a director.
Important considerations about the direction of the thesis:
The thesis should be addressed by at least one professor of those belonging to the program. You can have a second Director, Doctor, tutor or not. Exceptional cases may include a third Director, Doctor, but one of the three may not be a professor. In the last case, you should justify it properly.
From the moment that tutor is assigned (you will receive an electronic communication), the student has 3 months to introduce his Plan of Research in the implementation of follow-up to the PhD program.
The electronic tracking of PhD application is accessed in the same way as for online registration:
It is accessed through the UMH website: www.umh.es
By pressing the button:
When it asks you to identify, you should indicate the user (your DNI/NIE/passport number, without the letter) and your password (which provide for online registration). Once within its identified access look for “tracking application
Once completed the three months the application closes, this section and your tutor must then validate the Research Plan (tutors and directors have access to the application in the same way, but with a different role) within a period of 15 days.
In addition to writing the Research Plan in the application you must present it in public before a Commission of professors from the program, and the rest of Ph Doctoral students in the program.
These presentations are made in public session which convenes the programme on a regular basis.
An advance of at least one week to the date of presentation, it should be sent to the management of the program, by email to [email protected], the document of the Research Plan.
The public presentation will have a maximum duration of 15 minutes (9 min presentation and 6 for questions), and will consist of the following parts:
a) Background research showing soon as the scientific knowledge available in the area that is intended to investigate, and what the most outstanding knowledge gaps in that same field are.
b) Statement of the goals and an explicit justification of the reasons why the knowledge that is intended to generate is a significant novelty in the field of research. I.e. it must show clearly that the
idea of research is original and has relevance for the generation of new knowledge, either by the innovative practical application in the health sector.
c) A brief summary of the methodology that intends to implement to achieve the objectives.
In summary: The design of the study, the criteria of inclusion and exclusion and well defined variables, justification, hypothesis of work and objectives.
This presentation of the Plan must enable the Academic Commission rating that what is proposed is a completely innovative research, making believable its communication in journals of high quality and, where applicable, their application in the areas clinical and public health, even to produce products (patents, protocols of action, guidelines, etc.) involving a significant change in practice.
In addition, and although it is a short document, it must contain the most relevant aspects of the methodology, in order to assess its adequacy to the formulated objectives.
15) What other activities can I do?
New Ph Doctoral programs require to perform a series of activities by year during time, spent in the program and before reading the thesis. These activities are considered to be mandatory and must be validated by the directors / tutors once proof of the accomplishment of the same is attached to be able to be included in reports made annually the directors and the Academic Commission of the PhD program on the progress of the thesis and the candidate.
It is recommended that the thesis was made by articles, instead of classic format (by chapter), which is also supported. It is an effort to make the results of the thesis that are published in journals of important broadcasting (quartile 1 and 2). This thesis format by articles favours a favorable of their defense and quality outcome, since the results have passed review by peers including the review of the editorial of the magazine which has been published. In addition, during the first year of thesis it should present a review of the current state of the question of research or hypothesis of his thesis, which could serve as a first article of the same and will lay the foundations of the same theoretical framework.
The activities to be performed are as follow:
16) How do I stop record of activities that I do?
You must register all the activities on your Ph Doctorates tracking application, through your identified access, with loggin in the section “document of activities”. First of all, you have to register them, and then you have to mark them as “done”. Your Tutor/Director, once marked as “done”, must validate all these activities through their identified access, in the same application.
17) What kind of activities are considered valid to be taken into account in the program?
They are considered valid, the assistance to seminars (both organized specifically by the programme and the external if they are considered relevant for the formation by the thesis director), assisting clinical sessions, conferences and seminars, publications, or any other activity, always that have been recommended by the program or are directly related to the line of research that is being developed in each case and will be accepted by the director of the thesis.
18) Do I propose activities?
Of course, you must include your proposals in the implementation of follow-up. It will validate by the tutor or director.
19) What other issues do I have in mind with regard to my thesis project?
You must present in public (in the same way that the research plans) an annual monitoring report. Research report should serve to prove that the tasks and goals envisaged in the research plan are running properly. This report will be composed of, at least the following parts:
a) Summary of the research plan by stating the objectives of research and of the planned tasks.
b) Main results achieved.
c) Difficulties and limitations encountered, as well as the proposed solutions.
d) Description of tasks and timetable for outstanding research.
20) What are the functions of tutors, directors and the academic program Committee?
The functions are collected in the regulations:
The tutor will validate the activities that Ph Doctoral students are doing, and will make an annual report covering both those activities and progress on the ambit of the researcher. He will guide the student in all matters relating to the program. The director will validate activities that doctoral students are doing, and will make an annual report covering both those activities and progress on the context of the researcher. He will also guide the student in all matters relating to the investigation.
All the steps are performed through a IT platform that can be accessed in the following way:
1) Enter the website of the UMH: www.umh.es
2) Press the button:
3) Identify with your user of the UMH (UMH email is the text that goes before the @, and if you don’t have mail of UMH, the numbers of the ID – without the letter numbers- are the correct), and the password that gives you the UMH (if you don’t remember the password, you must contact the Computer Services of UMH – Tel.: 34 96 665 85 82)
If there is any problem please contact Marisun Almarcha (Tel.: 34 965 23 37 55)
4) Once you have accessed to the profile, you must find the “Doctorates follow-up” application
5) Click on the application and you will access the application.
6) Once inside you have to press “Search”.
7) It will appear the information of students who directs or tutoriza, and by clicking the ID of any of them you will enter in the record of that candidate.
8) In this file you can check the Research Plan, validate activities and perform the relevant reports
9) The activities proposed by the program as “mandatory” have the proper control of presence, available at the Secretary of the programme. They may ask the secretary María Asunción Almarcha ([email protected]). Other activities that introduce doctoral students must take responsibility, as to prove its veracity, the directors/tutors, by obtaining any type of accreditation by doctoral students.
10) If you have any questions about the function of the application or in the terms of the validation activities, etc., please contact María Asunción Almarcha (Tel.: 34 965 23 37 55)
We summarize some of the steps that you must carried out:
(From the Academic Coordination a model can be facilitated).
21) What should I do when it has finished the Ph Doctoral Thesis?
You must present your proposal thesis in public (in the same way that research plans and follow-up reports).
The presentation of the report prior to the reading will be presented as follows:
– First of all, it will make a very brief description of the subject of research and if failed to execute the research as planned.
– You will recall the objectives that had been raised and the basic elements of the design.
– It will be presented the most outstanding results saying explicitly what to the knowledge available they add, arguing the reasons for what may be classified as innovators. It will indicate communications or publications carried out of the results which have laid down, indicating the title of each one of them (although it is not a thesis by: articles, this section is essential).
– It will be completed indicating the most significant limitations of results and noting what practical implications have (if it’s basic research it should be noted what step has been made in the knowledge available and which steps are to give).
The time available is 20 minutes of speech and 10 for questions. With a week’s notice you should have been given relevant documents: a brief report of the closure of the investigation stating the execution or not as planned, its justification and changes (no more than 800 words); a wide summary of the doctoral thesis (over 5.000 words) with the following sections:
(1) background and justification
(2) objectives and hypothesis
(3) material and methods
(4) main results
(5) motivation for innovation posed the results in relation to the knowledge available
(6) communications and publications carried out or planned including titles and authors
(7) most relevant conclusions and noteworthy limitations
(8) practical implications of findings and next steps for implementation or research.
Doctoral students are reminded that procedures for the defence of the thesis will not start until they have completed the training activities set out in the official program (see question 15 of this document). The participation is certified by the academic Committee, according to the control of assistances.
Once the proposal of thesis was approved, it will begin the paperwork for the defense, which consist of:
1) External evaluation (the Director will propose 5 UMH external doctors, 2 or more of them must not be from the same centre and which comply with the rules of PhD)
The PhD Committee will choose three of them. It will send them a draft of the thesis with an evaluation form that will have to return to the administration of the program. Once received, it will be sent to the doctorate Commission who will authorize the deposit.
2) Deposit thesis. The PhD student tmust deposit at least 9 copies final thesis (it can be done in any of the general or auxiliary records of the UMH. There is one on each campus). The registration a copy will stay and will return 8 of them to the doctoral student. Of these 8 items, he will give one to each of the members of the Court (5 members and 2 alternate members) and the eighth will be sent to the administration of the program.
3) Court proposal. The Director will propose10 members to the Tribunal, all doctors. 2 or more of them must not be from the same centre and which comform with the rules of Ph Doctorate )
The doctoral Committee will select 5 members and 2 alternate members. Once the Court has been called the Ph doctorate student will send a copy of the thesis to each member (the remaining copy will be on deposit in the Program).
4) Call for date of reading. The president of the Court will arrange the reading. The administration of the program will be in contact with all members to facilitate the transport, accommodation, etc.