It is in 1982 when Professor Mr. Jaime Merino Sánchez moved to the city of Alicante (Spain) as a Professor of General Pathology and, in that moment, is named Vice-Dean of Clinics in the staff of the Professor Alfonso Puchades. He was responsible for a key task: add, configure, and develop the training base of Clinical Subjects of the curriculum of the Faculty; In addition to Medical, Surgical Pathology, Medical and Surgical Specialties and, above all, assimilate hospitals, services, health centres, etc. Identify appropriate persons and professionals and, most importantly:
perform the teaching of 4 courses of the Faculty of Medicine.
The Department of Medicine for his creation hosted different Chairs and included Medical Specialties such as:
From the beginning, the Department was called Medicine and Psychiatry, but shortly afterwards and after incorporating the Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology, changed its name to Medicine and Gynecology. Later and already adopted the definitive name of Clinical Medicine in the University Miguel Hernández.
Finally there are 4 areas of knowledge that compose the Department:
The Department was created at the University of Alicante (UA) located in San Vicent del Raspeig (Spain) and after a few years, moves, with own space, the area of Sant Joan d’Alacant (Spain). It is located on the first floor of the current Hospital General Universitario of Sant Joan d’Alacant (Spain).
a) Contribute on the basis of their competence in the formation of good medical professionals, active, dynamic, skilled, highly capable of solving problems of health of the population
b) Guarantee society that the students of the Department to achieve these purposes proposed.
c) Assume the daily work for research work and the development of science, doing care work of high quality for patients and other professionals. Always from the perspective of efficiency, honesty and economic efficiency.
A) The University has been always understood as universality, trying to capture and integrate the best human resources and materials available in the Faculty of Medicine. Complementing this idea with teaching hospitals, services, units, health centres, etc.
B) Despite the limitations imposed from outside, the excellence of the people, demanding high levels of responsibility and professional improvements in the medical field has sought at all times.
C) Many local professionals have managed to achieve squares of tenured professor after the opposition proceedings, thus achieving the enrichment of the system. On other occasions, attempted to find other good professionals outside of the University, with the aim of improving the structure and team created. Various professionals without a defined relationship with the University collaborated actively in activities, as well as honorary associates or professors that support students in service centres.
With the relationship of teachers, teaching research staff (TRP) and honorary partners that appear on this website, it is worth mentioning to other professionals in the history of this Department:
1) Teachers belonging to the Department and its quality. The high prestige achieved by medical professionals from the Department has made are currently relating national and international specialities. President of national commissions, scientific societies and organized national and international conferences in Spain and other parts of the world.
2) The maintenance of teaching quality, despite the pressure and the care activity today is a fact. The excellent research and teaching work, together with high involvement in the teaching of graduate programs are also recognized.
3) Research in clinical areas in Alicante was strengthened with the relevant degree theses.
4) The high level of participatory operation. Reinforced by the tolerance for diversity, acceptance and coexistence of numerous models and ideas. As well as improving the educational initiative and favour, with large institutional vision, initiatives to achieve purposes and challenges of governing bodies. Professional insight into solving problems in a constructive manner, with respect for the bodies of the institution geared towards students.
5) Some human and medical teaching, professional performances always transparent.
6) The generation of an acceptable capacity to develop own resources, as well as recognized officially, employees always with honesty. Contracts with public and private institutions, chasing after the benefit of the knowledge and activities within the Department for funding projects. As well as obtaining scholarships and other services.
The Chair of Family Medicine, in collaboration with the Lilly Laboratories is one of the leaders of the Department. The Chair agreed with the Instituto Bernabeu, or the development of the skills workshop, funded by the Foundation Manuel Peláez Castillo.
7) The quality of administrative staff, composed of María Guardiola and María José Blasco is also worthy of praise. Performing a commendable human and professional task in economic management, graduate, teaching coordination courses and students within the Department itself. As well as Rafael Mille and José Vicente Antolí who worked on administrative duties of teaching and research.
The prospects for the future of the Department of Clinical Medicine is perceived as a great opportunity. Even it has come to convert the limitation into a virtue.
Professionals are prepared, assets, with a participatory attitude and well placed regarding the future. Dedication to teaching and innovation capacity remains full, along with the desires to modify the teaching approaches for the benefit of students and medical professionals.
Teaching and medical skills have been studied, have been integrated practical activities in different subjects taught by the Department, a student-based learning model has been adopted and experience has been based on the resolution of clinical cases, as well as integrating complete contents of some subjects in the web environment. The development of skills workshops is also today a fact to highlight. The development of a new curriculum known as book white of the ANECA, together with a strategy, are today an opportunity. The European Educational Space next to the Bologna Declaration have been prepared to the structure of the Department in the achievement of educational and professional challenges with the aim of improving teaching.
Professionals of the Department of Clinical Medicine of the UMH today are aware of the improvement of the climate between medical professionals, students, and administration and services staff. All this is reflected with announcements of Faculty Board and other spaces of collaboration and exchange of ideas.
The illusion to improve every day, with the involvement of the University community, the guiding members and professional; next to an improvement of the position of the Department in the position of proofs for MIR in recent years are now, more than ever, a reality that is pursued with intensity.
Adaptation of chapter 15 Clinical Medicine: Medicine
XXV Anniversary of the Creation of the Faculty of Medicine of Alicante (1979-2004)
Texts: Dr. Jaime Merino Sánchez
Authors: Faculty of Medicine of the UMH
University Miguel Hernández
CEE Limencop, S.L.