The UMH Chair on EPOC has started its journey with the signing of leaders of the University Miguel Hernández (UMH). Between the members that signed the agreement were:
- Manuel Jordán Vidal, Vice-rector of research and innovation of the University Miguel Hernández,
- Joan Heras Navarro, Director of Market access of the company Boehringer Ingelheim
It is a formative and research chair joint of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). On national and regional level.
¿What is the UMH Chair on EPOC about?
- to promote disease awareness,
- to face solidly the underdiagnosis between Primary Care doctors and specialists.
The collaboration agreement between the two entities, UMH and Boehringer Ingelheim, will be 3 years and the annual contribution amounts to 10,000 euros.
The chair of sponsorship will allow to know chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (EPOC) through the organization of:
- training activities, research, development, conferences, etc.
According to Arriero Martin, director of the Chair and Professor of Clinical Medicine of the UMH: “we are planning to design a research work related to the quality of life of patients with EPOC and morbidity and mortality. This study will take place through national statistical records, as well as actions aimed both at the field of Primary Health Care as a specialty, where all patients who are underdiagnosed be detected better”.
In the words of professor Arriero, “there is underdiagnosis in EPOC around the 50, 60, or 70%, which is a very high score. However, it is very easy to diagnose with a spirometry disease. This important test to detect it is possible at all levels of health care. Both Primary Care (AP) in specialized medicine”.
Furthermore, Arriero explained about EPOC: “it is very common disease with high prevalence and significant morbidity and mortality. An increase is expected in the coming years for several reasons. On the one hand, in developed countries because life expectancy will be high. There will be more patients with EPOC, that mortality due to disease. “And on the other hand, in developing countries because smoking is increasing significantly”.
Who integrates the UMH chair about EPOC?
The Advisory Council of the UMH Chair on EPOC is composed by:
- Manuel Jordán Vidal, Vice-Rector for research and innovation,
- Domingo Orozco Beltrán, professor of the Department of Clinical Medicine, as Secretary of the Department
- Silvia Armengol Bertolín, from the company Boehringer Ingelheim Spain
- Juan J. Soler Cataluña, responsible for the Plan of EPOC in the Valencian Community. Head of Section of Pneumology of the University Hospital of Sant Joan d’Alacant, and
- Eusebi Chiner Vives, coordinator of the Spanish Society of Respiratory Pathology SEPAR_PACIENTES (SEPAR)
At the signing ceremony of the agreement also was attended by José Javier algae Martínez, responsible for Institutional Relations at Boehringer Ingelheim,
What do we know today about EPOC?
Currently, reserch in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is on the rise. “While it has been a disease that, in other times, and probably by the character of irreversibility associated, has perhaps not had investigated enough”, states Arriero. He also adds, that recent work on EPOC “go towards a change in the management of the disease. There are some patients in which not only disease does not progress, but, that can be reached to stop and stabilize. “There is even hope that, in some cases, using certain drugs, impaired lung function can recover and even improve”.
Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the leaders in the research of EPOC. Among its main research interests focus on the anticholinergic bronchodilators. It is really positive to support this kind of collaborative initiatives.